I've
decided to drop the doing the monthly noob challenge this month. Not
because I wasn't enjoying it or anything but I think I'm trying to
run before I can walk, so to speak. Rather than trying to do full
completed scenes I should be trying to get individual assets looking
go on their own first.
I've
opted to do a few single assets and trying to do them fairly quickly.
Any troubles I hit on each asset I'm going to make the focus on the
next one. This time round I'm going to attempt a Blood Bowl Helmet.
First
thing I did was gather my reference. I knew I wanted to put my own
spin on this version of the helmet but I wanted to remove the seal
and damage it up a little more with a tri count target of 2k tris...
| Original concept |
![]() |
| Reference #1 |
![]() |
| Reference #1 |
I began by analyzing my reference, I noticed that general shape of the helmet
was not far off a barbute helmet but with the face section open
rather than a general “T” shape. I decided I would push that
shape a little further in my version of the helmet.
I
started by creating a general low poly, I then duplicated the low
poly and added any supporting geometry to the helmet and turbo
smoothed it out, I made sure the mesh stayed all quads. I then took
this version into zBrush and sculpted any detail I needed onto the
model. After completing that I exported it back out of zBrush and
into 3dsMax. I first optimized the low poly mesh to get it as close
to my set tri count as possible, I then unwrapped it and started
baking and that's where things went wrong!
| Initial models - low poly and zBrush ready (before symmetry) |
| High Poly Sculpt |
| High Poly Sculpt |
| High Poly Sculpt |
| Red Helmet is the model that was taken into zBrush before sculpting. |
I
had a lot of intersecting geometry on the model. This caused the bake
for the normal and AO maps to come out incredible dirty with a lot of artifacts. At this point I should have fixed that, I should have
separated the low poly and high poly and baked out there parts
individually, but I pressed on with what I had hoping once it had
some albedo and gloss on it it would save it (spoilers... It didn't!)
I
then took it into the Quixel Suite and began texturing. I have to
point out how much I love texturing with dDo. I love the process and
idea behind using masks and layering different materials on top of
one another. It's incredibly fast, and it produces lovely results and
provides a solid flexible base for the artist to work from.
Unfortunately
a lot of the dDo loveliness was ruined by the shoddy bake...
![]() |
| Final Result |
looking
at the final result I'm unhappy with the normal map applied the
blocky silhouette. I feel I could fix both of these by better
approaching the model. I should have better optimized my model to keep as much of the high poly silhouette as possible. I should have
baked each part of the model individually and combined the normal
maps into one after the bakes where complete. I could have also maybe
retopologizsed the high poly to get my low poly rather than starting
with one, this was I could have had more control over my topology and
maybe allocated some around the bigger cracks on the model and they
could have added to the models silhouette.
I
think my next model will be all about improving my baking!Hopefully
it'll turn out better.
Peace
and love x



No comments:
Post a Comment