I've
decided to do this months Polycount noob challenge in a bid to
improve my environment art. My end goal is to become an environment
artist so this fits rather nicely. I've done environments in the past
but looking back I've not been entirely pleased with them.
My
goals for this challenge are to...
- Get better at planning!
- Work with PBR textures.
- Work with modular textures.
The
first thing I did was break down the concept art provided into it's
various elements to figure out what I would actually need to build to
construct this scene.
Normally
from here I would have went straight into an in engine block out. But
as I'm trying to work more on my planning I took this opportunity to
create an asset list focusing on how long I though each asset would
take to create and what textures I would have to create. As I also
want to work with modular textures this time around I want to try and
have as many assets as I can sharing the same texture, I tried to
reference this in my asset list.
I've
intentionally allocated extra time to the elements I feel need more
time and attention them (i.e. the “Eagle_Wall_Door_SM” NOTE: I'm
very aware of my that horrific name!) and any elements I'm not to
sure about or will need some extra research into how to do properly,
in this case it's the particle effects (as I'm not very experienced
in working with particles) and the wall trims (I'm not sure how
they'll fit together until I try in the blockout, they may need a
different approach to be taken, we'll see).
Using
the estimated times (which are totally subject to change, going from
past experiences things always crop up that eat up more time!) I
created a Gantt chart to plan my schedule for the rest of the month.
If all goes to plan I should end up with around a day or two buffer
time which I can use to fix errors, polish any areas or to try and
squeeze out more efficiency from the scene.
This
is what I have so far, apologies for the dryness and lack of actual
art! But I'm hoping this will be a strong basis for the rest of the
project. I guess time will tell.
Peace
and love x

No comments:
Post a Comment