Friday, 11 July 2014

Polycount Monthly Noob Environment Challenge (July 2014) - Blog Update #3


 Today I created 3 of the textures I planned to create, tillable ground and wall textures along with “Primary_Texture_1” which I plan to have the majority of the assets in the scene reference. This is my first time working with modular textures and using the Quixel Suite.



 Looking at my textures I can see some things I'm not 100% pleased with, they seem too bland to me. I'm unsure whether this is a positive thing or not, considering the context I plan to use them in. On one hand, they cant be overly detailed and unique because they wouldn't work across the scene as a whole as you would end up seeing specific repeating details, hence why I actively avoid adding too much unique detail to them. On the other hand I don't want the scene to look bland across the board! I'm going to carry on using these textures to see how they hold up. They may not look as bad in practice as they they do in my head, on the other hand they may look terrible.
 


“Primary_Texture_1” consist of three main elements light stone, stone similar too the ground texture and brass. Most of the assets in my scene will be referencing this texture. The grooves on the ground-esqe texture will be used on the stairs to break up the steps. Having not worked with modular textures before I'm unsure if this is a good way to go about things. Looking at it I can see problems with general blandness and not enough variation across assets. I'm hoping that I can use the UV's of the assets to full effect in a bid to create variation.



I'm in two mind about the lighting in the scene. Because of the colour intensity I'm loosing a lot of the albedo colour information in my textures but I rather like the bold, hot lighting in the scene, hopefully I'll get a better idea of what to do with it when I some textured assets into the scene.

As of not I have my worries about this environment but I treated this as a playground. For me it's trail and error to get used to using modular textures and practice with the Quixel Suite. Even if the scene comes out looking rubbish I'll be able to learn from it and do better on the next scene I have a shot at!

Peace and love x

No comments:

Post a Comment